Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lion Country Safari

Sorry that I did not get a chance to blog last weekend.  I was roughin' it at a campground site in the rain.  It was not an ideal time to get out my laptop computer.  Despite the soaking wet bedding and consequent lack of sleep, I had a really great time camping.  We went to Lion Country Safari which is located in South Florida.  It is a unique zoo that allows you to drive your car through a 4 mile stretch of the zoo. The kids loved driving next to the giraffes, ostriches, camels, chimps, and of course, lions.  Right next to this zoo, there is a campground for people who are brave enough to spend the night a short distance away from the lions.  Is was a surreal experience to be lying in my tent (trying to squeeze in a second or two of sleep) and hear all the lions roaring nearby.  The highlight of the trip was on our last drive through the zoo.  An enormous ostrich walked right next to our car and pecked on the driver's side window.  It was a trip that my family will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment