Saturday, January 28, 2012

Calvin Coolidge: Quiet, but Funny

I was not making it up when I said that my kids would rather hear historical stories than nursery rhymes.  I'll prove it.  Last week, I was driving the kids home from school and my oldest son asked me "What was that story about Calvin Coolidge that you used to tell us?"  Here it is:

Calvin Coolidge was president during the prosperous 1920s.  He mastered the art of not doing much yet still remaining popular.  America loved him even though he didn't talk very often.  He attended many social dinners, yet sat in quiet solitude.  Even though he seemed morose at times, Americans were pleased with their quiet president.  As long as they made money, they did not care what their president did, or in this case, did not do.  He was affectionately given the nickname "Silent Cal".

During one dinner party, the hostess was determined to get the president to talk to her.  She turned to him and said "You must talk to me Mr. Coolidge.  I made a bet today that I could get more than two words out of you."  Coolidge did not even look at her but quietly said, "You lose."

My kids love that story.  But here is another Coolidge story that I have NOT shared with my kids:

Mrs. Coolidge was taking a tour of a farm and was led to look at the chicken coop.  Mr. Coolidge was taking the same tour but in a separate group.  The farmer pointed to a rooster that was very frisky.  He mentioned that the rooster had sex several times a day.  Mrs. Coolidge said to the farmer, "Tell that to my husband when he comes by."  Several minutes later, when the president's group came the chicken coop, the farmer told Coolidge what his wife had said.  Coolidge asked, "Is it with the same hen every time?"  The farmer said, "No.  It's with a different hen each time."  Coolidge replied, "Be sure to tell that to Mrs. Coolidge."

No comments:

Post a Comment