Saturday, December 17, 2011

Spooky Death

Twenty years ago, when I watched Silence of the Lambs for the first time in the theater, I was too scared to go home.  I had to buy tickets to the next showing of a Steve Martin movie because I needed to force the spine-tingling terror out of myself.  As the years passed, I would periodically watch the movie on television.  I guess that I am a glutton for punishment because it would affect me just as much as the first time that I saw it. 

Last night, as I was watching Silence of the Lambs on television (yet again), I realized that I was no longer scared.  I found myself able to watch it without cringing under the covers of my bed.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe it is because I have finally desensitized myself to creepy moths, clothes made out of skin and holes in the cellar.  But whatever the reason for the cessation of my fears, I am so proud of myself!  

This morning, I tried to think if there were any stories in history that still spook me out.  And I immediately thought of the death of Rasputin.     


Grigori Rasputin was a Russian monk who was rumored to have healing powers.  He was evenually hired by the tsar and tsarina of Russia.  They desperately need his help for their son, Alexie, who suffered from hemophelia.  Rasputin did such a good job that he eventually became a trusted adviser to the royal family.  Many Russians looked upon this favored relationship with suspicion and anger.  The husband of the tsar's niece, Felix Yusupov led a plot to murder Rasputin.  He invited the monk to his house on the pretense that he would meet and possiblibly have a sexual interlude with his wife.  Rasputin, who had a passion for wine and sex, willingly went to Yusupov's palace.  The plan was to serve the monk poisoned wine and pastries.  Yusupov and his accomplices wanted to do a thorough job so they put enough cyanide on the pastry to kill five men.

While Rasputin waited for Yusupov's wife, he offered him the poisonous fare.  At first, Rasputin refused, but then changed his mind and ate a pastry.  He should have quickly died after that, but Rasputin continued to eat, drink and be merry.  After a while, Yusupov began to get worried that the Rasputin would never die, so he shot him in the back.  Rasputin fell to the ground, apparently dead.  Yusupov went to inform his accomplices what happened and then went back to check on the body.  When he leaned in to check his pulse, Rasputin opened his eyes, sat up and began to choke the terrified unsuccessful murderer.  Yusupov was able to escape and run to the safety of his friends, while Rasputin also escaped and ran into the courtyard.

The assassins chased after Rasputin and shot him two more times.  Rasputin fell to the ground, apparently dead again.  Yusupov beat Raputin's head several times just for good measure.  They tied Rasputin's hands and feet, wrapped him in a blanket and dumped his body into a hole in the frozen river.  Rasputin's body was found two days later.  His had been found frozen in a way to indicate that he had tried to undo the rope.  And there was a small amount of water in his lungs as if he breathed it in.

Over the years, many people have questioned the validity of this story.  The main witness and perpetuater of the story was Yusupov.  He seemed to enjoy bragging about it.  Was it possible for a man to be poisoned, shot three times, have his head beaten in and still survive?  That is, survive long enough to be drowned.  If it is true, then it is pretty spooky.

1 comment: